Friday 6 September 2013

Long Time No Blog!

So once again I have managed to leave this place dormant for months! It can be hard to juggle the things you have to do in order to make time for the things you want to do. But I do want to keep this up! Was that too many italics? Probably.

   Until I have some new content to post, let me leave you with my latest project entitled 'Mental Oppression'. I know, heavy stuff. Within the six weeks I worked on this project, I researched into mental illness and the idea of having a battle with your own mind. I was particularly interested in body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia.
 
   My final capsule collection (consisting of 3 pieces... Oh time how I underestimate you) was made up of two pairs of trousers highlighting restriction and suggesting the idea of what is there and what isn't. I also tried to fight back against the 'thigh gap' phenomenon by showing the total opposite in all its glory. I wanted to show that all shapes can be beautiful and by using a soft black sheep napa suggest the idea of excess skin but in a fashion related and luxurious context. My third piece was a top also showing the difference between what the sufferer thought he/she looked like and their silhouette in reality. I wanted it to disturb my audience and show them just how powerful the mind can be; despite the body having senses such as sight and touch which should be able to determine the true size of someone, the mind has the capability to warp that initial data.

   If you are interested in reading more about the project I have the entire process documented on another blog. It starts from research right through to fabric selection, design development and outcome.

www.emilytanfashion.blogspot.com

Here are the final images from the project!







All pieces designed and made by me, Emily Tan. Garments modelled by Ellie Carless.

No comments:

Post a Comment